Monday, October 5, 2020

My Cousin Attended Her Own Funeral

The funeral of my cousin was really strange... Especially when I saw her standing in the corner of the church.

The church was full of family and we just sat listening to the service and to others saying their goodbyes. It was nothing extravagant, but it was nice. I get distracted really easily because of my dyspraxia, so I was looking around and I saw her in the corner, looking at her own coffin.
I stared. I wasn't scared or shocked, I just didn't want to look away. My cousin, who had died a few weeks ago was standing right there. I won't tell you how she died, but it wasn't of natural causes.

I heard my name be called from the front, signaling that it was my turn to say a few words. I got up and went to the front. When I looked back, she was gone. I almost wanted to cry, the only time I would see her again, and I turned my back on her.

I said my bit, as well as I could through the tears and went back to my seat. When the service was over, we all went outside. I saw her again, standing by the trees. I walked to her as quietly and casually as I could. I stood in front of her. She smiled at me and told me she wasn't in pain anymore. I tried not to cry at that statement. I knew which sort of pain she meant and who caused it.

I nodded as I tried not to cry, and she vanished.

I have seen her around. I stayed at her house to sort things out. Her boyfriend keeps seeing her too. He's creeped out by it, but I'm just happy to see her. The loss isn't so bad if the person you miss keeps turning up to comfort you.


No comments:

Post a Comment