Friday, January 10, 2014

Onlookers

I have always been a skeptic and a little cynical about ghost stories, regardless of how many experiences I've already had, I simply could not reconcile these experiences to who I am, but here goes.
I live in Davao City and used to work for a call center in Tibungco. For those who are familiar with the area, one must know that this is already very near the boundary of my city and certainly very far from where I live. Shift starts at 3:30am so I usually travel to work at 2:00am to avoid being late. While I was walking down the dark road, I saw an old man and an old woman, what was spectacular about the whole thing was that they were dressed in really old costumes. They definitely looked like they were right out of the pages of a history book.


A simple checkered scarf over a white cotton shirt for the old man and a simple white blouse over a long skirt for the old woman. They sat there in silence under a closed store and looked at me. I didn't expect anyone to be awake and wondered if they were travelers from the mountains. I, trying to be my polite self, greeted them "maayong gabii sa inyo" and stopped to face them. They did not reply and I sensed that they were mildly surprised that I greeted them. They continued looking as I stood there facing them and taking their outfits all in. My eyes traveled to the old woman's feet and realized that she had none. That old woman was floating! Maybe it was because I was getting used to these experiences or maybe because I sensed danger, I immediately said "ayaw mog uban, layo pa akong adtuan, basi mawala mo" which roughly translates to "don't follow me to where I am going, the place where I travel to is far and you might get lost. Then I walked away.

I saw what I saw and sometimes I fear that they will know that I know and I can see them. Unlike others who wish to "see" this is something that I do not want, but sometimes have to deal with. I am sharing this experience just so others believe that indeed, there are still those who stay as onlookers in our time and stay.

Ps: Others will think that I was still sleepy. I was not, after 2 years of having similar shifts, you get used to it. Also, I stared at these figures for a long time to make sure I saw what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment